runnerone. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Quick Tip #1 - Saving an image with Black and White


Halftone Kashgar
Originally uploaded by runnerone
Just quickly too! If you've got a shot you really like but it's slightly blurred / out of focus / not quite right; try desaturating the image or using a black and white halftone paper effect.

This pretty much masks any major defects in the image and gives it a totally different feel and effect for the viewer.

This particular shot had great colour and skin tones but lost detail due to judder and blurring. By desaturating (removing all colour) and then applying a very light haltone effect I'm able to keep the image rather than bin it and I think it's actually better than the original.

Give it a shot!

3 comments:

Impish said...

What software do you use to edit your pics in?
I'm hoping the answer might enlighten me on the 'halftone effect' might equate to in my program so I have a clue on how to do what you've talked about here!

ShinyDog said...

I use Photoshop CS2 and in this case I desaturated the image (Ctrl+Shift+U) and used the Halftone Paper effect in the Filters gallery. This renders the image with overlapping dots. Just play with the dot size and style (you can choose from dots, concentric circles or lines) and play with the contrast and brightness post-effect to add more punch to the image.

An example of a lined halftone effect is: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1172/960771109_849270c385_b.jpg

I'm going to post up another tip shortly on working with layers so you can make alterations without changing the original image.

I'd also like to find other ways of creating some of these effects without using Photoshop, but that's all I've got to work with for the moment ;)

Impish said...

Mmm, I'm still on my old but trusty Paint Shop Pro (when it was owned by Jasc instead of ... of... whoever it is who owns it now), which has not the awesome power of the built-in Filters.

I really should switch to Gimp or Photoshop.