runnerone. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Monday, November 12, 2007

Bring out the GIMP

Well, since the use of photo editing software is the big driver behind this blog I'd better point some of you at a great frewware, opensource application called GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program).

This great application can pretty much do everything that Photoshop CS does and some of it a little more intuitively. It also seems to run quite well on slower machines and laptops. A great application if you want to edit on-the-fly out in the field.

The latest stable version (2.4.1) can be found at the site's downloads section as well as a bunch of plugins.

I've downloaded this myself and I'll be running it on my machine alongside CS2 to see how similar they are. I'll post the next tip up with both CS2 and GIMP instructions and if that goes well, I'll continue on with it or split off a separate blog perhaps. Remains to be seen how well this one goes first ;)

Anyway, the next tip is on "How to cheat at HDR using only one JPEG image as a source." Should take a few days to get it right, so I'll see y'all back then!

1 comment:

Impish said...

A plugin to grab for the Gimp if you're on windows is the 'deweirdifier'.

It creates a single window for all of the Gimp's 80000000000000 windows to live inside, so you only end up with one icon on the task bar and one icon to alt-tab to.

Just gotta make sure you configure the name of the gimp exe file in its setup properties (by default it's gimp.exe, I think, and later windows gimps are gimp-[version].exe)

Of note: I believe the Gimp can run a bunch of the photoshop plugins.

Also of note: check out GimpShop. Someone's attempted to rejigger all of the Gimp's menus and panel layouts to mimic Photoshop as closely as possible for a painless transition. Apparently the linux and mac ports are good, but I had problems on windows.