runnerone. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Quick Tip # 5 - The Vintage Decor Look

Well, that's what I like to call it anyway. For me it's very reminiscent of the old 50's and 60's magazine covers of kitchens, etc.

So anyway, I've been asked how I did this one so I've put together a very quick tip. Now I'm assuming you've got a fair understanding of Photoshop (that's about all I have!) and can muddle your way through all the requisite adjustments you'll have to make as you go to get the image looking just the way you'll like it.


Step 1. I used a fairly colour neutral image to begin with; nothing too glary or contrasty (is that a word?). If you've got something like that I think it's the best way to go, if not, I'd be really interested to see how something else comes out.

Step 2. For starters, I applied Shannon Beauford's "Lomo Cross Process" action which you can find here. You can't make much in the way of adjustments there unless you want to step back through the history.

Step 3. I then applied Dave Jaseck's "Midnight Blue" action which you can find here. Depending on what your image's primary colour is will determine which action you'll go with. Obviously mine was blue. You can adjust the opacity of the layer this action is applied to but ensure you flatten the image before the next step.

Step 4. Now you can apply Roman Flossler's "Fake HDR" action which you can find on his website: http://www.nill.cz/index.php?set=tu1

Step 5. I made plenty of changes to the layer presets from this action and here's where you can play around with them to get your image looking right. Again, flatten the image before moving on.

Step 6. Edgar Berendsen's "Glamblur", which you can find here, is up next. You'll have plenty of options during the running of this action to modify it so have fun with it; you can always jump back and try again if it doesn't work. Make sure you flatten that image too...

Step 7. Make adjustments to the colours, contrast and brightness at this point.

Step 8. As a final touch, you can apply Anna Bottom's "Amanda's Edge Vignette", which you can find here. As the name suggests, it applies a nice vignette effect to the image that finishes it off; to my taste anyway.

Step 9. Flatten that image, sit back and appreciate.


Hopefully this has turned out looking something like the image above (only if you've taken a shot of the same kitchen though!).

Happy snapping!

No comments: